Saturday 9 May 2015

It's All In The Numbers

1st January, Vicki and I put on our trainers and head out for our first run, the first in many months. It is hard and I have to slow and walk a couple of times.

12:27 min miles, the average pace on that first walk/jog.

35:16, the demoralising  number of minutes it took Vicki and me to complete our first parkrun of the year.

27th January, the day I decided I need to shift some weight.

3.81 mile run with Donna confirms I need to do hill work as she shins up them like a mountain goat and I'm left walking and struggling for breath.

3 cm lost from my waistline.

1st April, panic sets in that I'm not going to get enough long runs under my belt in time to be prepared for Taunton Half Marathon. Every time I add a mile I think I'm going to die of exhaustion.

2 hours and 30 minutes, my desired finishing time for the 32nd Taunton Half Marathon on Sunday 12th April.

10.30 a.m. start time.

2:28:15, my actual finishing chip time.

9 minutes faster than last year. I am delighted.

£20.00 the cost of my celebratory quarter pound cheeseburger and large fries and the rest of the feast shared with Vicki and Rob and Sophia, what a way to recover!

19.04.15, rest over, back out on the lanes.

4 miles, all I can manage!

20th park run and Donna and I lament the failure of yet another failed sub 30 run. It's just not possible we conclude.

£30 very well spent on a new over the shoulder boulder holder as a result of a conversation on social media. That'll do the trick for sure!

38,000 people take part in the 2015 London Marathon, I follow at least 10 RFRC and other acquaintances wind their way around the course. They all complete the course and I am staggered at just how well they all do. And, just a little envious.

5K Club time trial at the end of April and I complete the distance 10 seconds quicker than last year, finishing in 30:10, thanks to Katie Elliot who kept me going. I failed yet again to catch Gill Taunton though!

4th May, I enter a ballot for the greatest run on earth, along with many thousand others.

11 pounds, so far lost in weight.

84, Longrun Meadow park run event number for today the 9th May.

21, my twenty first Longrun Meadow park run. My head is in the right place, I am going to do this. I am wearing my This Girl Can T shirt and the recently purchased superb underwear. I am going to nail this. All traffic lights are green on my way into town. see, everything is pointing towards a successful run. I do a short lap warm up enabling me to leave my security blanket jacket in the car. I will do this. Nadine, my friend and unofficial coach offers to run with me. It's now or never, I CAN do this, my T shirt says so.

181, my finishing place out of a field of 277 runners.

56.30% my age graded score for today's effort. I've tried many times to understand this, but I still don't. It's a higher number than usual so I think it means I ran better than I ever have run before? It feels like it.

44 points earned for the Longrun Meadow parkrun points competition.

29:47 I've only gone and done it! 

948 calories consumed in my celebratory quarter pounder cheese burger and large fries.

Running Forever Running Club, OK not a number but a very significant part of my running successes this year. You could not wish to meet a friendlier, more supportive bunch of runners. From newbies to elite, we have them all. Ask a question and many answers will be forthcoming. Wether leading a training group, offering advice on techniques, supporting alongside or yelling on the sidelines RFRC are always right by my side. Thank you.

Longrun Meadow parkrun, still not a number but also a fortnightly happening in my life. I am convinced this 5k run, which I nearly always run as fast as I can, is a significant reason for my improvement in running times. I'm not too confident at going to track to do speed work sessions so alongside some fartlek sessions done all alone out in the lanes this counts as my improving speed runs. If you've not had chance to take part yet then why not give it a go, there's bound to be one near to you, just google parkrun and see what comes up. If you are a regular parkrunner then don't forget to add your name to the volunteer list too, that's my next task as my thank you to all the organisers and volunteers from today, without you I would not have had the chance, at last, to get my sub 30. Thank you.

Nadine, thank you x  

29:47 Oh, I may have already mentioned that!











 


No comments:

Post a Comment